If the answer is no, an International Driver’s Permit is highly recommended. Any U.S. government employee can rent at 18 years of age but must showthe rental locationhis or herofficial orders. This is for medical and death benefits for the driver and passengers in the event of an accident.
- When I lived in Italy I frequently rented a car from different providers because I didn’t own a vehicle.
- These can be found in the confirmation voucher sent to your e-mail or by accessing the My Bookings section in your account page.
- Snap a few pictures of the car’s conditions when picking it up to make sure that you’re not charged for any pre-existing damage when dropping it off.
- At the other end of the age spectrum, some companies reportedly will not rent to older customers.
A valid driver’s license and credit or debit card are required at the counter. Although most states require you to be 18 to rent a vehicle , car rental agencies dictate minimum age policies. Typically, agencies rent to drivers aged 25 and over without incurring any additional fees. They will usually rent to younger drivers aged 21 and over; however, a fee will be charged to cover the risk. There are exceptions to the 21-year-old minimum in Michigan and New York state, where the minimum age is only 18 years old, but renters between 18 and 20 are expected to pay a higher fee.
Answers To Your Questions About Travel To The Eu
Just let the clerk know how much and what type of gas you need and sit back. Don’t forget, however, that Mexico uses the metric system so you’ll be buying your gas in liters (one gallon is equal to 3.8 liters). If you select a service package that includes a Full Tank, however, you won´t have to refuel before returning the vehicle. It is important to state, though, that in such cases, the remaining unused gas will not be refunded.
- If you have homeowner’s insurance, renter’s insurance or condo policy, your personal items will generally be covered even if they are stolen from a rental car.
- Renting a car when you’re under 25 can be a pricey affair, and it may be more cost-efficient for you to fly or take the train to your destination.
- At 18, you can rent a vehicle from any car class, except the 12-passenger van or 15-passenger van.
- Rentcars does not provide any type of receipt for your car rental, however, you may request a receipt from the rental company when picking up or dropping off your rental.
- A ‘Youthful Surcharge’ may be applied to your rental, if you are between the ages of 21 and 24.
Ages, for example, may differ depending on the company you hire from. In some countries in the EU, the minimum age may well be 18 years, however, it is very frequently required that the driver in question must have held their licence for longer than one year. In the US and Canada, there may also be different provincial and state restrictions depending on where you are.
These shuttles are typically free and are conveniently located so you can get to the car from the airport. If you have USAA membership (available to active duty, Guard, or Reserve U.S. military and veterans and their eligible family members), you benefit from no young driver fees. Renting with Avis, Budget, or Hertz, 18- to 24-year-olds will have their fees waived, and with Enterprise, this applies to 21- to 24-year-olds. See below for a complete list of all U.S state age requirements. KAYAK is part of Booking Holdings Inc., the world leader in online travel & related services. Also, lines to rent a car at Milan Malpensa Airport and Rome Fiumicino are consistently always long, regardless of the time of the year.